Sunday, June 22, 2014

Best Ever Japanese Cotton Cheesecake

21.06.2014 - Nongsa, Batam.  Today bake myself another japanese cotton cheesecake...keep on trying until i get to perfection.  This time is a shocking method i used....(lol) i am baking my sensitive and delicate cheesecake at the temperature of 180c !!! ta-da!! haaaa.....however it works for my cake this time. :)

I have been trying baking cotton cheesecake with the temperature as low as 150c but my cake always came out not cook and with the temperature 160-170c...i even tried with the steambath tray placed at the lower rack and put the baking pan unattached with the water tray, it didn't work either!! i did this because i didn't want my cake to be wet and soggy, i did ever tried putting 4 baking tins at the corners, or i bake at the middle rack, but nothing's work!! everything i tried seems to fail me!!

I realize it was my oven temperature problem but i can never get it right.  My 3rd and 4th cheesecake had failed me again!!  It came out soggy, wet and texture just half cooked or getting just way too soft...very bad in another word.  i sometimes suspect the quality of one baking pan is the main culprit.

Today, its my 5th attempt of baking a cottony cheesecake and i saw Anncoojournal.com recipe again, i had keep her cheesecake on my list to try for a longtime though, so i tried hers.

I follow every ingredients in the recipe except for one thing "the temperature". Well at least i try..... for the better or worse...Any bakers will disagree with my method i think....they would say cake will cracks, burn very fast or rise too quicky and shrunk whatever it is, my cake just didn't disappoint me this time!! All i wanted is a cooked cheesecake that is edible!!  180c temperature result really blows me away!! definitely will keep the recipe with this temperature of baking for my oven.  it came out perfectly PERFECT!! Surprise... Suprise!!

Its the most beautiful japanese cotton cheesecake that i have ever made!! shrinks a little at the side which is very normal, no cracks or half cooked.  I will keep the same temperature n using the same pan to bake a good japanese cotton cheesecake with MY OVEN!! :) * Im overwhelming with the result!! so happy indeed.



INGREDIENTS :
265ml Full cream milk or Low fat milk
85g Butter
250g Cheese cream (room temperature)
40g Plain flour
35g Corn flour (sift together with plain flour)
7 Egg yolks (large eggs)
2 tsp Vanilla flavor

7 Egg whites ( large egg )
3/4 tsp Cream of tartar ( i used pinch of tp / 1/8tsp )
125g Sugar


Method:

Grease 9" square cake pan with parchment paper base & side 2" higher set aside.

Boil milk and butter together at medium heat, lower heat add in cheese cream~use hand whisk to stir cheese cream till smooth. Add in plain flour and corn flour mix well.  Lastly add in egg yolks and vanilla flavor, mix cheese cream mixture till thick and transfer to large bowl, leave to cool. ( I shift my cream cheese mixture, so it free of lumps )

In a mixing bowl whisk egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar till peak form (that is the form peaks with tips stand straight when the beaters are lifted).

Use a rubber spatula to fold egg whites in two batches to the shifted cheese cream mixture.
Pour cheese cream mixture into the pan.

Steam bake at preheated 150C for about 1 hour 15 mins.  Place cake tin at the lowest rack in the oven.  *After about 30 mins of baking or when you find the top of the cheesecake turned brown half way of baking, place a foil cover loosely over the cake tin.

( I pre-heat  my oven at 180c, preheat for 10mins without putting in the steambath tray.  When the oven is ready to bake, Put a cup hot water fill in the black baking tray ready for steambath baking method and in the cake. Bake at lower rack oven at 180c for 53mins and reduce temperature to 170c for 17mins till finishing.  A total time 70mins, i let my cake brown till finish without covering the top.  Leave at oven door adjour for 45mins and remove from oven leave it to cool to room temperature before into the fridge.  Best result to consume is to fridge for 4 hours or overnight. )

Cool down cheesecake in room temperature. *Cheesecake will shrink as it cools.
Best to chill cheesecake before serve.








35 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugg, being an American, I will have to convert all of these measurements. I will when I have the time.

Wanda N. said...

I must say, not everyone is American and, therefore, we must not expect them to do the conversions for us.

Anonymous said...

Is there any sugar in this cake?

Anonymous said...

It looks like it says "125g sugar".

Anonymous said...

Re M. Gennaro's point - Ugh... being and Earthling .... Three countries which are not using the metric system are Liberia, Myanmar and of course… the United States of America. The population of these three countries is 400 million people in the world (a generous estimate)vs 7.4 billion (the rest of us). It will be inevitable that this other 5% (Est) will join the common metric system some time... in the meantime it is silly and arrogant for members of this 5% to expect 95% of others to conform to their units of measurement. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

smidgies_mom said...

I find Google makes the conversions beautifully.

Unknown said...

@ Anonymous...... lol😂

BarbaraHanna said...

Actually the most accurate way to back is to weigh you ingredients. Most kitchen scales measure in standard and metric.The only thing you need to convert is the temp and you can google that.

Anonymous said...

My spoons and measuring cups - from a cheap store - have both on them. Besides, google is always there...

Unknown said...

Thank you for the nasty remarks about the conversion. I wasn't blaming anyone and basically making fun of myself for NOT being on the metric system. People are so freaking touchy. Also, thank you to the ones that gave me some helpful advice.

Anonymous said...

Into American conversion
265 ml =8.9 oz
85 g = 3/4 cup
40 g =1/3 cup
35 g = approximately 1/4 cup
125 g ¥ 1 cup +1 Tbl

Hope this helps.
I live in USA but am European.
Ann H.

oldtimecook said...

is there a replacement for the corn flour or is it absolutely necessary for recipe???

Anonymous said...

Thank you BarbaraHanna. I recently bought the most wonderful kitchen scale that provides me not only with the ability to cook and bake by weight, but also has a digital memory that allows me to determine grams of fat, carbohydrates, etc. when preparing food for my diabetic husband. It is the more accurate way to measure ingredients for baking, and has actually put some of the fun back into food preparation.

Anonymous said...

Maybe corn flour is cornstarch in America??

Cheryl said...

Yes, cornflour is corn starch.

Unknown said...

Your cheesecake looks amazing , I'm going to try making one too .
Cheryl mentioned that cornstarch and cornflour are the same . I don't think they are the same at least here in Canada and also in the U.S. they are very different . Cornstarch is a thickener that we use to thicken gravies or puddings and pie fillings . Corn flour is a very fine flour made from ground corn or maize it is much finer than cornmeal . Not sure what they have in Indonesia .

S Greensill said...

I tried making this cake for the first time from your instructions. Didn't turn out as high and next time I will try smoothing out mixture through strainer but it did taste delicious all the same. Thanks Jess for posting this recipe.

Anonymous said...

No its isn't the same. You can order it.

Unknown said...

I am really excited to try this. I'm just wondering, I am using an small electric oven, will it be the same temperature as with on the recipe? Thank you so much :)

Unknown said...

What can you suggest as a substitute? I wanted to try this this weekend but can't find any corn flour here in the Philippines. Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

So does this recipe require corn flour, as in fine corn meal or corn starch, a thickener? Has anyone tried this recipe, what did u use?

Unknown said...

Nice i have all the ingredients. Will try, it looks so soft

Anonymous said...

Hmmm do Americans not like scales. .what's with all the cup this and 1/8 cup that ...so confusing ��

Anonymous said...

Americans measure by volume, not weight. Glass measuring cups with calibrated measurement marks (a cup being 8 ounces) is how they determine the necessary amount of flour, sugar, etc. Even the packaged butter is divided into quarters (4 even sections) with calibrated marks on wrappers for how many teaspoons and tablespoons (volume) are needed, yet you purchase it in one pound (weight) containers. Our old 19th century cook books use measurement by weight (although it is the old English system 1 pound = 16 ounces).
Hope this helps in describing the different systems.
Processed foods sold have both metric and English weights and measures on the packages. America tried converting over to metric in the 1970's but there was a huge outcry by the majority of the population, so this is how we survive at present.

Anonymous said...

Miss Angelina, in the Philippines corn starch and corn flour is the same. Trust me I used it for 30 years of baking cakes. I'm from Manila .

Anonymous said...

What is steam bath is it water bath n is it covered on all sides with water or only lower bidy dipped in water or a bowl of water kept in d lower rack

Unknown said...

I have made this recently. Came out fluffy and nice. Felt the sugar should have been more. Adding more sugar say 50gm will spoil the recipe?

Anonymous said...

I'd prefer the system we, the United States use. I have no idea how to bake with directions given. To convert takes to much time as a busy baker. Otherwise this would have been a nice cheese cake.

Anonymous said...

This would take 1 minute or less to convert from using Google. AWESOME RECIPE! Can't wait to try it! Thank you for sharing! Looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

In America professional bakers use metric. It is fairly easy to use an app to convert to what you are comfortable with. Oh and, "Anonymous" who said we are silly and arrogant, that was not very nice. No one asked anyone to convert anything for them here, although I'm sure 5 percent of us are grateful that someone did. As for this recipe, very good! Thanks for the post.

Jessie said...

Boil milk and butter together at medium heat, lower heat add in cheese cream~use hand whisk to stir cheese cream till smooth. Add in plain flour and corn flour mix well. Lastly add in egg yolks and vanilla flavor, mix cheese cream mixture till thick and transfer to large bowl, leave to cool. ( I shift my cream cheese mixture, so it free of lumps )

Question : Does this means I need to mix the cream cheese, plain flour, corn flour, eggs and vanilla first before I put it into the butter and milk in a low heat?

Unknown said...

When we heat butter n milk then we add cream cheese and mix on low heat. Then when we add the flour and other ingredients do we remove from heat or keep it on a low heat option. Won’t it cook the eggs when we add them. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Why the bottom of my cheesecake all dense like a thick custard and yet the top portion is light and fluffy?? I made it 2 times, they all turned out the same? The first time, I use hot water for the steambath and the second time, I used just lukewarm water but still the same?

Thank you,

Viv said...

Cornflour in other parts of the world is the same as American Corn Starch.

Prurient said...

This particular recipe 🧀 looks so light & airy most importantly the sugar content guaranteed!✈

Quick & Easy Bibimbap in a Bowl ( Korean Mix Rice )

This for sure is everyone's favourite dish! Bibimbap simply has everything you need in one bowl, eating 'em is easy too by mixing ...