2009 - Vanuatu, South Pacific. FRENCH FRIES......its everyone's favourite! It is so easy to get at the supermarket either frozen or ready cooked french fries everywhere at any eatery corner or fast food chain.
i did my first fries experimental and i failed. it was soft and saggy. i thought making fries is a piece of cake! turn out to be so difficult! then i try the 2nd recipe, searched from google up side down from many fries recipes and finally i found one very much complicated fries recipe, sounds and looks complicated but i choose to give it a go. so i follow every steps and it took so much time to prepared and the repeating procedures to make the fries crispy, just making me crazy. but i give it a shot! and the final result was a success. I have myself a plate of crispy fries finally!! can't believe i can make myself some crispy fries.
im so thrill to choose the right recipe out of thousands. but its hell loads of work. but worth the time and patience. and it taste very very crispy too! my fries are not soft and saggy. the best thing is i know i am eating my own fries without preservative or other unhealthy ingredients added. my fries stays crispy even when its cold.
Finally, now i understand how difficult to make french fries. mmmm....but why is that french fries are cheap in the market and the production so much procedures and energy used. getting a packet of frozen fries at the supermarket is just that easy, no worry, no sweat, no wastage and no energy waste! surely i will not make my own fries anymore for now.... unless this world has no more fries production.
i would love to share to you my crispy french fries recipe, above i uploaded 4 pictures step by step cooking. Concentrate on step 1, 2 and 3. I guaranteed the result a successful crispy fries.
Whole Fresh Potato
* peel potato and cut/sliced into your desire thickness.
* run cut potato into tape water for 15 minutes until water runs clear. this steps is to wash away potato starch from the potato then, put into a strainer to clear the water from the potato and keep aside.
* step 1 : Heat up sauce pan, Add in 5 cups of water, slowly let it reach to a slow medium boiling temperature and add in potato. let the fries slowly boil to a high medium heat for about 5 minutes and off fire. drain fries completely dry with a strainer and let it air cool and keep in the chiller/fridge, chill for 1 hour.
* step 2 : After 1 hour chilled. heat soup pan, add 5 cups of cooking oil. In this step, need to pre-fry the fries in a medium low heat for about 5 minutes until little brown from the outside of each fries but not totally cooked and dish up and cool. chill for 2-3 hours or over night. ( In this stage where u can keep the fries as long as you want in the freezer and fry anytime as you desire ).
* step 3 : After 3 hours chilled, heat soup pan, add 5 cups of cooking oil in high heat, add in french fries deep-fried till crispy golden brown. dish up and drain. sprinkle with salt or a little paprika powder for seasoning as desire.
woa!! this was back in 2009 at vanuatu where i cooked my first ever homemade french fries from stratch,
and i am proud that i still remember the steps very clearly.
Happy Coooking!! :)