10.01.2014 - Nongsa Batam. Will be my son last month of celebrating his monthly birth date because next month 10th Feb he will turn 4 years old. We might not be celebrating anymore, he seems like getting bore with cake!! :) LOL its a good thing. because we don't know when to stop, so maybe is time to stop celebrating every month. :)
Here i make a Chocolate Sponge Cake, recipe from I Love Nasi Lemak Blog. Frosting with whipping cream. I think this is the best Chocolate Sponge Cake i have ever tasted!! I will make this again but the size is a little too small.
4 egg yolks (large)
20g caster sugar
50g corn oil
15g cocoa powder
75g cake flour, ( i use normal flour added 1tsp baking powder )
4 egg white (large)
1/4tsp lemon juices or 1/4tsp cream of Tartar ( I used only lemon juice)
60g caster sugar
1. Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar. ( i beat till lemony color )
2. Add in corn oil, stir to combine.
3. Add in milk, stir to combine,then add in cocoa powder, mix well.
4. Add in cake flour, mix well, set aside. ( add 1ts baking powder )
5. Add lemon juices into egg white, beat till foamy.
6. Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks (十分发 / 硬性发泡)
7. Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.
8. Fold the balance of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture using a spatula, combine well.
9. Pour batter into the pan (do not need to line with baking paper and do not use a non-stick pan), bake at pre-heated oven at 140c for 25mins (at lower rack) i preheated at 150c bake 7mins and increase to 180c bake for 10mins lower down to 150c again for 5mins and increase again to 180c 5mins bake on centre oven, total time i put 25mins increase again another 7mins means 32mins
then increase to 170C and continue to bake for 25mins. Remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack (don't need to invert the cake). Once cake is slightly cool down(10-15mins), remove cake from cake tin (use a think and flat spatula to run around the side and bottom of the cake pan) and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
*if you want to make a normal vanilla sponge cake, replace chocolate emulco with vanilla essence, and omit cocoa powder and add back 15g of cake flour to become 90g cake flour.
So yummy Chocolate Sponge Cake!!