30.10.2013 - Batam. I was craving for Mini Chicken Pie, so i've got this recipe in hand. It is a mini chicken pie recipe, however, i was so stress with moulding the pastry into the mini tin, so i came out this idea of making the pie into a one big chicken pie instead of mini, i make it into a gigantic curry puff shape easy and fast. Most importantly is by the end of the baking process, you get to eat your pie and the pie that you have been wanting for so long! :)
This recipe can make two of this giants. and so i have two giant pies. The taste was so good! That is what I've been looking forward to, the real taste of that kind of chicken pie i wanted. So good. Next time im gonna make the real mini chicken pie.... :) hopefully i don't stress out again... hahaha...
Ingredients for the shortcrust pastry:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour10 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ( 151g butter or measure with cutting cold butter into 14pcs tablespoon size)
1 tsp of salt
6 tbsp ice water (more or less) 6tbsp = 1/2 cup
1. Pulse in a food processor the flour, butter, and salt just until the mixture resembles a coarse meal with some small (pea-size) butter lumps.
2. Slowly drizzle in the ice-water, one tbsp at a time. Squeeze a small handful of the dough, if it doesn’t hold together; add more ice water. Do not overwork the dough, or the crust will be tough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Gather the all dough together and wrap it up with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for an hour.
Ingredients for the filling:
4pcs of chicken breast
1pkt of 250g frozen mixed vegy ( you can use frozen peas or any celery & parsley )
3 large potato
1 big onions - finely diced
1 pkt of cream of chicken or mushroom soup ( used cream of chicken )
salt and pepper to taste and chicken granules
1 egg wash – beaten
1. Heat up the pan and lightly brown the onion. add in mixed vegy sautee for few minutes and potato and mixed well. Add in cream of chicken or mushroom soup with 2 cups of water let it simmer until potatoes soften and add in the chicken. Stir well, cook until sauce thickens. Check seasoning as your might need to add a bit more salt to it. Dish out and let it cool completely.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180-200c or depends on your oven.
3. Line the base with cut pastries, you may use muffin pan or disposable aluminum pie cups. Roll out the pastry thinly and cut it into rounds to fit the cups. It should be large for the base and slightly smaller for the top. fill it up with the filling and cover the top with another piece seal the edges with fork or gently press into shape.
4. Cut a few slits on top of the pastry for venting air. i make my chicken pie into a big huge curry puff shape in family size and brush with egg wash. Bake at 180-200c for 50mins or less. I make 2 giant pies, 10 mins before fully cook, brush the second egg wash bake to golden brown.
The kind of chicken pie that i have been craved for a very long time.
Super Size and Super Delicious!! Cheers!!