Sundanese Ayam Bakar - My M-In Law Recipe.
Ingredients for Ayam Bakar:-
4 chicken thigh ( if u use less chcken, reduce the ingredients )
fresh ginger ( about thumb size ) or ginger powder
lengkuas ( double thumb size ) or lengkuas powder
shallots 2pcs ( blend or finely chopped )
garlic 15pcs ( blend or finely chopped )
asam keping 1pc
cenke 5 pcs
kayu manis 1or 2 pcs short
star anise 1pc
daun salam 3 or 4 pcs
Indonesia kicap manis
1) clean the chicken put in a big bowl. Add in blended the garlic and shallots, ginger, lengkuas, asam keping, cengke, kayu manis, star anise, serai and daun salam, add salt & chicken granules all in the bowl and mix well with hand for 5 mins. Keep it marinate for 1 hour or 2.
2) Heat wok or pan, put little bit vegy oil add in marinated chicken. Let it brown from one side and turn to another. until both side are equally brown, make sure chicken skin not to stick on the wok or pan, and add about 2 cups of water and cover with lid, let it cook slowly.
3) about 5 mins turn chicken and cook again few mins until water almost try. andd in kicap manis about 3 tbsp. add little water so as it wont burn continue cooking till the chicken all in black color and water almost dry up. off fire.
4) transfer chicken to a bowl. and with a brush / spoon, in the butter/margerine on the chicken equally for bbq it. Let the chicken sit for 10 mins. and ready to be bbq
5) and the last step is bbq/ open fire grill is the best way to cook this recipe. since the chicken already cooked, the grill process just to make the chicken more aromatic and with nice burn from the grill/bbq. so once it is brown nicely, dish up and served.
SAMBAL ( with food processor )
handful of fresh keriting chili, blend
5 shallots, blend
3 garlic, blend
1 big tomato, blend
2 daun salam, optional
1 lemongrass, optional
salt, sugar, chicken granules to taste
*Blend chili put aside and blend shallots and garlic together till fine.
*Heat generous amount of cooking oil or 4 tbsp cooking oil pan, add in lemongrass & daun salam a second or 2, add in blended shallots and garlic sautee till aromatic & in belachan. Add in blended chillies mixed well and stir a few minutes till fragrance.
*Put seasoning to taste
*Add in blended tomato. mixed well, stir until well combined.
*Dish up served with Ayam Bakar, Warm Rice & Kemangi.